FUNDRAISE FOR FORTEM AUSTRALIA
Fortem Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that supports the mental health and wellbeing of first responders and their family members – the people who protect and care for our community.
Every day, more than 300,000 first responders are ready to serve and help us. The work of these people is often confronting, traumatic and dangerous.
That can take its toll on the first responder and their family.
We know that more than half of all emergency responders are deeply impacted by the traumas they face in the course of their duties:
- 1 in 3 first responders experience high psychological distress from trauma experienced on the job.
- The first responder community has higher rates of psychological distress, higher rates of diagnosis for mental health conditions, and higher rates of suicidal thinking and planning than the general adult population.
- First responders are more than twice as likely to have suicidal thoughts and to experience high psychological distress.
- The devastating Black Summer Bushfires of 2019/20, not to mention the COVID-19 pandemic compounds people’s trauma exposure.
- Family members of first responders feel it all too through vicarious trauma.
Fortem, meaning ‘brave’ in Latin, aims to support first responder families to proactively look after their wellbeing and mental fitness.
Fortem is an official partner of The Royal Melbourne Hospital’s 5 Ways To Wellbeing – connect, be active, keep learning, be mindful, help others. These evidence-based strategies are integrated into all our activities, events, and programs to highlight the benefits of incorporating simple lifestyle changes into day-to-day life.
Fortem offers a range of services to eligible first responder families including
- Facilitating free wellbeing activities designed to connect families and strengthen family bonds and build communities.
- Clinical Support, both in-person and via telehealth, to eligible first responders and family members needing deeper assistance.
- Transition & Employment Program offering one-on-one support across new job opportunities or pathways to other meaningful life choices.
- We have a Resource Library which offers free, downloadable guides to build mental literacy.
- Peak Fortem offers a range of do-able tools and advice to build your mental fitness.
We are not only offering support in a variety of ways, we are also connecting with, and sharing the stories of this important group of people.
The Fortem team is currently at work in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Yass, Goulburn, Illawarra, Shoalhaven, Newcastle, Northern NSW, South East NSW, South East Queensland and the Gippsland region, with plans to grow across Australia.
Your fundraising will help us extend our support to all first responder families. The funds raised will allow us to provide more support to first responders and their families in more areas.
If you are looking to make a one-off donation to Fortem Australia, thank you. You can do that easily and securely via our Donate page.
“So here we are 4 weeks after the activity organised through Fortem and I still feel like my life has been changed for the better. I am feeling like such a better person every day. Like everyone, I have my story of struggle and have only recently felt like I have just started to come through the other side.
Throughout the retreat, the experiences I had, the knowledge I absorbed and teachings I listened to… they were the boost I needed to know that I was getting better.”
Fortem Australia wellbeing activity participant
WANT TO ORGANISE A FUNDRAISING EVENT OR ACTIVITY?
Thank you for considering Fortem Australia as the focus of your fundraising.
To help guide you along the way here are five steps to consider
Step 1: Choose your fundraising event Determine the type of fundraising event you wish to organise. It can be big or small and there are endless possibilities of events or challenges you can run.
See our list below for some suggestions.
- Morning tea
- Sports day
- Fun run
- Anything else you can think of!
All Fortem Australia fundraising events must comply with our Terms and Conditions, so it is important to read these guidelines to ensure you understand your responsibilities as a fundraiser for Fortem Australia.
Step 2: Get In Touch Prior to organising your event, please complete the online Fundraising Application Form below. This form lets us know how you plan to raise funds for Fortem Australia as well as any resources you may need from us to make sure your event is a success.
Forms should be returned to us a minimum of four weeks prior to the proposed date of your event.
Step 3: Get Started Once your event has been approved you will receive a letter of approval containing an Authority to Fundraise then you are ready to get fundraising!
Step 4: Promote Your Event Now’s the time to get people involved. To help, we will send you a Social Media Pack to share.
Fortems Marketing and Communications team will be able to offer advice and support.
Step 5: Post Fundraiser Within 2 weeks of finishing your event, money should be deposited into the Fortem Australia bank account, and a copy of the bank deposit slip provided.
FUNDRAISING APPLICATION FORM
Please complete the following form and click submit. You will receive an Authority to Fundraise Letter once your application is approved so you can start fundraising. Any inquiries please email give @fortemaustralia.org.au or call 1300 33 95 94
Fields with * denote required.